Band Runner game and website for 8-10 year olds
Band Runner game
Band Runner is an exciting interactive game which aims to help 8-10 year olds learn how to stay safe from the risks they might encounter online.
As part of the Thinkuknow Play Like Share package of resources, Band Runner helps children:
- Distinguish between safe and unsafe behaviours online
- Feel confident to seek help from a trusted adult when they need it
- Gain familiarity with the Thinkuknow 8-10s website, and know how they could use it to seek advice and support on staying safe online
Featuring characters and safety messaging from the Play Like Share animated films, Band Runner is a fun game that puts children’s knowledge about staying safe online to the test by asking them to help characters make safe choices.
A trusty guitar which eliminates all obstacles in its path is the character’s only tool to battle through school and make it to their next gig. If they miss a jump or take a tumble then players must get ready to help Alfie solve an online safety dilemma.
Thinkuknow website for 8-10 year olds
The Band Runner game is hosted within an informative website providing online safety advice for 8-10 year olds. The ‘Stay Safe’ section of the website is split into six topic areas which explore the most common online behaviours of this age group and offer clear and practical safety advice:
- Play – Playing games online
- Like – Being kind to others online
- Share – Sharing videos and photos online
- Chat – Talking to others online
- Lock – Keeping information private
- Explore – Exploring the internet
The ‘Need answers’ and ‘Worried about something’ areas of the website offers advice and support to children who are feeling worried, scared or upset about something which has happened online.
The Play Like Share animations can be viewed in the ‘Watch’ area of the website.
- Band Runner Guidance Pack - guidance for professionals to deliver an online safety session with 8-10 year olds using both the Band Runner game and the Thinkuknow website for 8-10 year olds.
- Band Runner: Information for parents and carers – a useful helpsheet designed to be emailed or printed, which encourages and supports parents and carers to access the Band Runner game and Thinkuknow 8-10s website with their child to consolidate learning and create opportunities for positive conversations about staying safe online.
To access the Band Runner game and Thinkuknow website for 8-10 year olds click here.
For more information on the Play Like Share package of resources for 8-10 year olds click here.
Play Like Share
Play Like Share is a three-episode animated series which aims to help 8-10 year olds learn how to stay safe from sexual abuse, exploitation and other risks they might encounter online. It is designed to be viewed by children in the context of at least three learning sessions, based on the plans in the teachers Resource Pack.