How does grooming work online?
Grooming is about building a relationship with a child in order to later abuse them. This can be far easier online.
- Games, social media and chatrooms enable people to make contact with children to try to groom them.
- They can create multiple online identities and even pretend to be children and young people to trick real children into chatting and sharing.
- They can find out a lot about individual children before they make contact by looking at the things the child has posted.
- Using this information they can target children who are particularly vulnerable and carefully plan what they will say and show an interest in.
- They can also contact lots of children very quickly in the hope that one will respond