Play Like Share: Keeping 8-10s safe online
Play Like Share is a brand new three-episode animated series which aims to help 8-10 year olds learn how to stay safe from sexual abuse, exploitation and other risks they might encounter online.
The series follows the adventures of Sam, Ellie and Alfie as they form a band and enter their school’s Battle of the Bands contest, taking on the mean but ‘cool’ Popcorn Wizards as they go. The three friends learn that while the internet can help them in pursuit of their goal, they need to use it wisely and safely.
Play Like Share resources
The films are designed to be viewed by children in the context of at least three learning sessions, based on the plans in the accompanying resource pack. Two alternative sets of session plans enable you to tailor the content to the children you work with, based on on their understanding, maturity and online engagement:
The films and sessions aim to give children the knowledge, skills and confidence they need to:
- Identify signs of manipulative, pressurising or threatening behaviour online.
- Respond safely if they think someone is trying to manipulate, pressure or threaten them.
- Understand their rights online, and respect those of others.
- Take measures to control their privacy and digital footprint.
- Get help from an appropriate source if they need it.
There are also further extension sessions, designed to be delivered to particularly risk-taking or vulnerable children, that address; self-esteem, commercial risks, privacy and security and online grooming
The resource pack also contains guidance, photocopiable workbooks and materials to engage parents and carers.
How to deliver Play Like Share
- Read guidance on how to deliver Play Like Share safely and effectively
- Choose the sessions plans that are appropriate to the children’s use of the internet
- Make copies of the resources you need
- Deliver Play Like Share over three or more sessions
- Encourage parents and carers to watch the Play Like Share Trailer
- Distribute help-sheet and letter about Play Like Share to the parents and carers you work with.